Ayurveda (Medicine) For Kids – Everything You Need to Know!
Are you looking for alternate forms of medicines for your kid? Are you curious how Ayurveda can benefit your kid? If you can relate to the above situations, read on to know more on the subject of Ayurveda for kids.
There are eight branches of Ayurveda. Of these, Kaumarabhritya (Paediatrics) is one which deals in great detail with the proper growth and development of a healthy child as well as for the treatment of the diseased child. As the health of the child begins from the time of conception, this branch encompasses all the aspects of child health from the mother’s womb, to when the child is just born and there on till the age of 16 years.
Ayurveda mainly deals with two aspects of life.
- Firstly, when the child is healthy, to maintain the health. Procedures and advice pertaining to health of the child, which can be broadly classified as Ahara (nutrition), Vihara (activities), immune boosting therapies (eg- Swarna prashana, Rasayana herbs) etc.
- Secondly, when the child is sick or diseased, the causes, features and treatment for various diseases have been explained.
Why kids are prone towards illness?
The Kapha dosha directly affects the growth and development in childhood. A disturbance in the Kapha dosha is the cause of most childhood diseases.
Paediatric Diseases that can be cured by Ayurveda:
- Chronic cough and cold; Allergy; Sinusitis
- Childhood Asthma
- Deviated nasal septum
- Low immunity
- Abdominal pain
- Worm infestation
- Bed wetting
- Digestion issues- Loss of appetite; Vomiting; Diarrhoea; Constipation
- Low weight; Stunted growth/stunted height;
- Lack of concentration in studies
- Weak eye sight
- Speech disorders; Stammering; Stuttering etc.
- Recurrent fever; Measles; Chicken pox
- Hernia; Hydrocele
Since ages, Ayurveda preparations have been used in order to build a healthy body and sharp intellect, right from infancy to adulthood. With special emphasis on kids care, Ayurveda emphasizes on the use of certain tonics and medications that can develop immunity power, intelligence in the children and shield them from various kinds of diseases.