What is Infertility according to Ayurveda
Infertility primarily refers to the biological inability of a person to contribute to conception. In women, it may also refer to the state when she is not able to carry a pregnancy to its full term. Ayurveda Infertility treatment takes a wholesome route to address the problem. In addition to working on the reproductive system, Ayurveda also focuses on the psychological aspect of reproductive health, which results in a more holistic solution of the problem.
Female infertility is caused due to structural problems like blocked fallopian tubes, defect in cervical canal, uterine fibroids or polyps. Hormonal imbalance leading to ovulation problems like PCOD too can cause infertility. There are some unexplained causes too in which reports are normal but still female is unable to have a pregnancy.
In male infertility may have anatomical, psychological, hormonal or lifestyle related causes. The cause of infertility in approximately 20% of couples can’t be determined using the currently available methods of investigation. From Ayurvedic perspectives, shukra dhatu can get affected by various physical, mental causes and even by serious diseases. Poor quality shukra dhatu can cause infertility in males & females.
In Ayurvedic Infertility treatment, all of these causes are evaluated and the root-cause is addressed with rejuvenating Rasayanas, herbal medicines and Panchakarma therapies, as recommended by the doctor.
Ayurveda infertility treatment
- According to Ayurveda, four factors are essential for conception; namely SEED (OOCYTE AND SPERM), SOIL (REPRODUCTIVE TRACK), SEASON (FERTILE PERIOD) AND WATER (NUTRITION).
- Ayurvedic fertility treatments regularize metabolism of the body, purify reproductive organs, maintain hormonal equilibrium, improve endometrium lining and receptivity, increase egg and sperm quality and relieve stress.
- Womb preparation treatment of Ayurveda also enhances the success rate of IUI, IVF, ICSI-ET.
How Ayurveda treatment works?
- Ayurvedic medicines:
- Ayurvedic herbs and medicinal preparations act as a natural tonic to male and female reproductive organs.
- They maintain biological clock of menstruation; hence hormonal imbalance is corrected.
- They also help in making most potent and healthy sperm and ovum and eventually a healthy pregnancy.
- Panchakarma (Detoxification):
- Ayurveda can treat infertility by Panchakarma procedures like Basti, Uttar basti, Vaman, Virechan, Nasya using different Ayurvedic formulations as per cause of infertility and failure of IVF and according to body constitution of the patient.
- Basti acts on vata predominantly. It increases the strength of reproductive organs.
- Uttar basti is an intrauterine instillation of sterile medicated oil or ghee. It acts on endometrial receptors.
- Vamana and Virechana detox the whole body and improve digestive fire for proper nourishment of reproductive hormones and organs.
- Yoni prakshalana (Irrigation of vulva and vagina with warm decoction) and Pichudharan (Insertion of a sterile tampoon soaked in medicated ghee or oil in posterior fornix of the vagina) are also helpful in infertility.
- According to Ayurveda; A cheerful mind forms the basis of pregnancy; so relaxing panchakarma procedures like massage, steam, head massage, Shirodhara are done to reduce stress and its impact on infertility treatments.
- Like other fertility treatments, Ayurvedic treatment does not depend only on medicines.
- In fact, it ensures that patient follows a strict diet rule as per Ayurveda and avoids spicy and salty food.
- The proper food can help to provide proper nutrition to reproductive organs.
- Lifestyle modification:
- Nowadays infertility has become a part of lifestyle diseases.
- Ayurvedic Doctor can guide you to modify lifestyle according to your body constitution (Dinacharya) and seasonal variations (Ritucharya).
- It is always better to avoid cigarette smoking, tobacco and alcohol as they reduce fertility.
- Exercise is an inevitable part of the lifestyle. One should learn exercise, yogasana (e.g. Surya Namaskara, Gomukhasan, Sarvangasana, Pavanmuktasan, Ardhamatsyendrasan, Naukasan, Dhanurasan, Shalabhasan etc) and Pranayam from an experienced teacher.